SCENES ON THE ROUTE FROM SAN FRANCISCO TO SANTA CRUZ. SOUTHERN PACIFIC COMPANY, SANTA CRUZ DIVISION, NARROW GAUGE. San Francisco, n.d. [1890s.]. Folio, 42 x 32.5 cm (16 1/2x12 3/4 inches), two preliminary leaves and four leaves of advertisements, 23 plates with photographs printed by the heliogravure (i.e. photogravure) process, original three-quarter dark blue calf and two-part blue cloth, front panel lettered and tooled in gold, spine panel ruled and tooled in gold, marbled endpapers. First edition. A rare volume of spectacular large photographic views made along the narrow gauge railroad serving the logging industry of California's coast range below San Francisco and in and near the picturesque seaside resort town of Santa Cruz. The images are captioned: Fern Glen, Cliffs at Surfside, Eagle Rock, Arco Grande, A Mountain Road, Tunnel No. 6, Powder Mill Canyon, Cliffs at Monterey Bay, Entrance to Tunnel No. 6, Santa Cruz, Narrow Gauge Station, Cliffs and Surf, A Mountain Mill, Arch Rock, Deer Field, Mission Hill Santa Cruz, San Lorenzo River, Mission Street Santa Cruz, Camping in the Red Woods, Bathing Beach Santa Cruz, The Terrace, Pacific Avenue Santa Cruz, and Upper Bridge Santa Cruz. The Southern Pacific's Santa Cruz Division began life as the 3 foot narrow gauge Santa Cruz and Felton Railroad, built between its namesake towns of Santa Cruz and Felton in 1875 to send logs and lumber down from the Santa Cruz Mountains to mills and wharves on Monterey Bay. In 1876, the South Pacific Coast Railroad narrow gauge network completed its line from Alameda to Los Gatos, then over the mountains to Felton, absorbing the Santa Cruz and Felton Railroad to complete the line to Santa Cruz. In 1887, the Southern Pacific purchased the South Pacific Coast Railroad and converted it to standard gauge over the course of more than a decade. Washouts closed the majority of the line in 1940. The Santa Cruz-Olympia section remained in operation to serve the timber and sand industries. In 1981, further washouts brought closure of the line from Eblis to Olympia, until the line was purchased by Norman Clark, operator of the narrow gauge Roaring Camp & Big Trees tourist railroad and adjacent 1880s theme park in Felton. Oscar Victor Lange (1853-1913) was a leading photographer and occasional landscape painter in the San Francisco Bay Area of California during the late nineteenth century. Lange was born Oscar Victor Fahrenberg on June 6, 1853 in Hoboken, New Jersey to German immigrants. In the 1870s, Oscar moved to San Francisco and adopted the surname "Lange" while working with Ernest W. Newth making stereographs. In the 1880s he opened his own studio and gallery on Market Street, moving to Montgomery Street by the 1890s. Lange's specialty was industrial and architectural photography and his subjects included structures in San Francisco, Oakland, the campus of the University of California, Berkeley, and downtown Berkeley. He also photographed the workers and scenes of the Central Pacific and Southern Pacific Railroads. Binding scuffed, small damp stains on the fore-edge margins of last four plates, save for an occasional faint fox mark all images fine. No copies reported by OCLC. Rare Book Hub reports only this copy. (#154561).
No statement of printing.