Yosemite Portland Cement Corporation specimen preferred stock certificate. Merced, California: Yosemite Portland Cement Corporation, n.d. [1925?]. 20x30.3 cm. Unissued canceled specimen signed by the corporation's president and its secretary, printed in brown and black by the Security Banknote Company, with ornate vignette featuring Half Dome in Yosemite Valley. Fine, no folds. Accompanied by a scrip certificate, number PS 1208, for fractional share 25/100 of preferred stock of the Yosemite Portland Cement Corporation, dated 22 March 1937. Fine, light vertical folds. The Yosemite Portland Cement Corporation was incorporated in the state of Delaware in 1924. It was registered in California 3 March 1925. In 1928 (other sources state 1927) a limestone quarry opened at Emory, 67 miles east of Merced. The crushed limestone was shipped by rail to the Yosemite Portland Cement Company plant just east of Merced. In June 1944 the Kaiser interests purchased the Yosemite Portland Cement Company, closed the quarry and removed the machinery. "The limestone traffic was extremely critical to the Yosemite Valley Railroad since it covered day-to-day expenses. The loss of that freight business was the beginning of end. The railroad petitioned for abandonment and the last scheduled run came on August 24, 1945; scrapping operations commenced shortly thereafter" (Jack Burgess, yosemitevalleyrr.com). Provenance: Ken Prag collection. (#166937).