WOODWARD'S GARDENS, NEW GRAND ENTRANCE ON MISSION STREET, BETWEEN THIRTEENTH AND FOURTEENTH, SAN FRANCISCO. THE CENTRAL PARK OF THE PACIFIC. THIS POPULAR RESORT IS VISITED DAILY BY HUNDREDS OF THE PLEASURE AND INSTRUCTION SEEKING PUBLIC, AND ALL AGREE IN PRONOUNCING IT THE BEST AND ONLY FIRST-CLASS SUBURBAN RESORT ON THE PACIFIC COAST ... [caption title]. [San Francisco]: J. H. Carmany & Co., Printers, 409 Washington St., n.d. [Circa 1880s.]. Single sheet, 26x17.4 cm, printed on both sides. "Woodward's Gardens, San Francisco's first amusement park, opened in 1866 in the Mission District, just a few blocks from Mission Dolores. Combining museums, conservatories and entertainment sites, the one-stop enterprise would also open the city's first zoo and America's first aquarium ... For 25 years Woodward's Gardens was the place to go in San Francisco for popular culture, recreation and amusement ... Woodward's Gardens closed to the public in 1891 ... the family auctioned off their father's collection of 75,000 articles on April 6, 1893" (Robert Ehler Blaisdell). The verso has advertisements for G. H. Gruenhagen & Co., "manufactures of all kinds of garden wire work," and Kelsey's Nurseries, Oakland, established in 1852, "embracing each and every branch of the nursery business ..." Paper uniformly tanned, a very good copy. Provenance: The Marilyn Blaisdell collection. (#167136).
No statement of printing.