POINTS OF INTEREST AT TALLAC LAKE TAHOE HEADQUARTERS FOR THE BEST FLY FISHING IN THE SIERRAS IN BOTH LAKES AND STREAMS ... [caption title]. N.p., n.d. [Circa late 1890s, early 1900s.]. Single sheet, 43x43 cm, folded to 21.5x10.8 cm. illustrations, 1 map. A historic resort on Lake Tahoe, for many years the principal hotel on the lake, Tallac, originally Yanks, was homesteaded by Ephraim Clement who added to it until he owned about a thousand acres. In 1878 he sold Yanks to E. J. (Lucky) Baldwin who changed the name to Tallac and added to his holdings as Clement had done earlier. "The hotel was built in 1879 and the Sharp Brothers ran it. In 1880 Capt. Gordon was manager for a year, and in 1881 Baldwin gave a lease to Messrs. Lawrence & Comstock who held it until 1914" (James, p. 208). Most of the territory featured in this rare promotional brochure lies within the boundaries of what is now the Desolation Wilderness, an area of approximately 64,000 acres of rugged alpine terrain located west of Lake Tahoe and north of Highway 50. "A sea of glacially carved granite, alpine forests, and pristine peaks make this piece of the sierra crest one of the most popular wilderness areas in the region ... [It] averages 12.5 miles in length and eight miles in width, and has elevations ranging from about 6,500 feet to over 10,000 feet ... Long recognized for its mountain splendor, Desolation Valley Primitive Area was established in 1931 and then granted Wilderness status in 1969. A section of the Pacific Crest Trail/Tahoe Rim Trail traverses 17 miles of the Wilderness" (SierraWild). See RESORTS OF CALIFORNIA (San Francisco: Book Club of California, 1957), part 1, "The Tallac, Lake Tahoe" by Edward B. Scott. James, Lake of the Sky, Lake Tahoe, pp. 208-209; 383. A very good copy. No copies reported by OCLC. (#167683).
No statement of printing.