YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK; OR THE GREAT AMERICAN WONDERLAND, A COMPLETE DESCRIPTION OF ALL THE WONDERS OF THE PARK, TOGETHER WITH DISTANCES, ALTITUDES, AND SUCH OTHER INFORMATION AS THE TOURIST OR GENERAL READER DESIRES. A COMPLETE HAND, OR GUIDE BOOK FOR TOURISTS. By W. W. Wylie. With illustrations from photographs by H. B. Colfee. Kansas City, Mo. Publishing House of Ramsey, Millett & Hudson, 1882. 16.5x12 cm, pp. [1-7: blank] [8-10] [1-3] 4-5  7-8  10-99 [100: blank] [101-110: ads] [111-118: blank], seven woodcut illustrations from photographs by H. B. Colfee, several woodcut tailpieces, one full-page map, original pictorial black cloth, front panel stamped in black and gold, rear panel stamped in blind, pink endpapers. First edition. A scarce, early guidebook to Yellowstone National Park. Wylie made three tours through the park to prepare this work, an up to date guidebook to the region, including new points of interest "developed or brought to view" by its superintendent, Col. P. W. Norris, "within the past two years." Wylie is credited with originating the “permanent camp” concept in the national parks, starting at Yellowstone National Park in the 1890s. "William Wallace Wylie (1848-1930) came to Bozeman, Montana, from Iowa in 1878 as the principal of the city schools. In 1881 he became the principal of the Bozeman Academy. Several years later he was Montana superintendent of schools. He made his first trip to Yellowstone National Park in 1880 and in 1881 he started a lecture tour on the park using H. B. Calfee's stereopticon views. In 1882, he published this guidebook to the park ... As he continued to visit the park and took teachers on educational tours, he used tent camps to house them. In 1893 he got permission to establish fixed camps in the Park for tourist groups. This developed into the Wylie Way Stations which he ran until 1905 when he sold the business" (Kim Allen Scott, 2009, Montana State University Library). Wylie wrote his autobiography in 1926. It was donated to the Montana State University Library in 1966 with the proviso that after transcription the original typescript would join the W. W. Wylie collection at the Yellowstone National Park Museum in Mammoth, Wyoming. Graff 4765. Faint damp ring on front cover, front free endpaper missing, a very good copy. A lovely copy of this attractive pocket guide. (#168115).
No statement of printing.