STRAWBERRY (J. T. SCHERRER, PROPRIETOR) ON THE LINCOLN HIGHWAY AND SOUTH FORK OF THE AMERICAN RIVER HOTEL AND ALL COTTAGES ELECTRIC LIGHTED ELEVATION 5,700 FT. EXCELLENT HUNTING AND FISHING THE BEST OF TABLE SERVICE DAILY AUTO SERVICE STRAWBERRY EL DORADO CO., CALIF. Strawberry, El Dorado County, Calif. J. T. Scherrer, n.d. [early 1920s]. Trade card, 6.5x10.8 cm, printed on cream card stock. Verso is "Places and Their Distance From Placerville, Calif." Strawberry was a major rest stop on what became California's Highway 50. The first roadhouse was built in 1858. "After the disastrous fire of 1867, the new owner, Charlie Watson, rebuilt the station, but a bit up the road, just before the bridge crossing the American River ... It was this location that would see the rise in automobile traffic after the turn of the century. This spot would be owned by the Watson and Martin Families from 1867 to 1938. While autos did pass down the old Swan-Henry Road, the Lincoln Highway in 1913 breathed new life into the old rest stop. For the next 16 years, the place was a beehive of activity as American's took to the road in their new Model T's" (Trey & Monica Pitsenberger's Adventures in California History). A very good copy. (#168922).