(#173679) THE ALLEGED HAUNTING OF B--- HOUSE INCLUDING A JOURNAL KEPT DURING THE TENANCY OF COLONEL LEMESURIER TAYLOR. Goodrich-Freer, Marquess of Bute John, K. T., Miss X.

THE ALLEGED HAUNTING OF B--- HOUSE INCLUDING A JOURNAL KEPT DURING THE TENANCY OF COLONEL LEMESURIER TAYLOR. London: George Redway, 1899. Octavo, pp. [1-8] 9-249 [250] [251: ad] [252: blank], floor plans printed on pages 2 and 3, original decorated green cloth, front panel stamped in blind, spine panel stamped in gold, fore and bottom edges untrimmed. First edition. Ballechin House was known as "The Most Haunted House in Scotland," with several similarities to the Borley Rectory haunting, including the apparition of a ghostly nun. In 1896 the house was investigated by John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute, with the assistance of paranormal researchers from the Society for Psychical Research. The team of investigators from the Society included the notorious Ada Goodrich Freer. In 1899, THE ALLEGED HAUNTING OF B--- HOUSE by Crichton-Stuart and Freer was published, and serialized in THE TIMES, containing a journal of the phenomena kept by Freer. Crichton-Stuart stayed at Ballechin during these investigations, and is quoted as saying that he "could not understand how such a handsome house could have so wicked of a reputation." Front free endpaper missing, scattered foxing to text block, heavy to preliminaries. The first few pages have penciled notes by someone privy to details about Ballechin House. Externally quite a nice, bright copy. Provenance: ghost lore collector Dillon Hampden Carrington's ownership signature on the half title page. (#173679).

Price: $150.00

Printing identification statement for this book:
No statement of printing.