AMERICAN ROCKET SOCIETY. A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANIZATION, ITS AIMS, ACTIVITIES AND MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS [cover title]. [New York]: American Rocket Society, n.d. [circa mid-1930s]. Small octavo, pp. [1-8] (not paginated), one illustration (launching of Goddard's Experimental Rocket No. 2), self wrappers, stapled. The American Rocket Society was founded 4 April 1930 as the American Interplanetary Society by G. Edward Pendray, David Lasser, Laurence Manning, and others. Its name was changed to American Rocket Society on 6 April 1934. The ARS conducted a number of successful rocket experiments in New York and New Jersey to test liquid-fueled rocket design. In early 1963, the ARS merged with the Institute of the Aerospace Sciences to become the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA). See Frank R. Winter, "The American Rocket Society Story -- 1930-1962," Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, 1980, volume 33, pp. 303-311. For a detailed account of early ARS rocket experiments see G. Edward Pendray, "Early Rocket Developments of the America Rocket Society," Frederick C. Durant III and George S. James, eds., First Steps Toward Space, 1974, pp. 141-155. Touch of dust soiling to outer pages, a nearly fine copy. (#163926).