THE CHAMPION SPOUTING SPRING, SARATOGA, N. Y. Stereo albumen print. Saratoga Springs, New York: Baker & Record, Photographers, n.d. [circa 1875]. Stereoscopic view card. Each dome-topped image measures approximately 7.5x7.5 cm. On orange coated card stock mount with rounded corners measuring 8.8 x 17.7 x 8.5 cm (3.5 x 7 inches). Descriptive text on verso provides an analysis of the minerals in the spring's water and promotes its use for plethora of human ailments. "The Champion Spring was drilled by Jesse Button, well driller, in 1871 in Geyser Park. The water spouted to over 25 feet. To achieve this height, the spring was tubed with a smaller nozzle on the top. To relieve the pressure from the buildup of underlying gas, the nozzle was removed each day at 5 PM to the delight of tourists and passing rail riders. In the winter, the ice would grow to 25 feet high and several inches thick. Originally called the Glacier Spring, the name was changed to Champion Spring and the waters were bottled by the Champion Spouting Spring Co. The spring was sealed in 1916 when New York State began developing the Spa Reservation. The spring can no longer be viewed" (Saratoga Springs Public Library). Fine condition. There is a copy in Robert Joki Stereoscopic Collection of Saratoga Springs, NY. (#170125).
No statement of printing.