(#173402) THE TAVERN OF TAMALPAIS [cover title]. California, Marin County, Mt. Tamalpais.
THE TAVERN OF TAMALPAIS [cover title].
THE TAVERN OF TAMALPAIS [cover title].
THE TAVERN OF TAMALPAIS [cover title].

THE TAVERN OF TAMALPAIS [cover title]. [Tamalpais, Cal. Tavern of Tamalpais], n.d. [circa 1914]. 15.2x8.8 cm, pp. [1-12] (not paginated), 12 illustrations including one on the front cover, pictorial wrappers, stapled. This copy has the previous manager's name (J. D. Gilliland) crossed out and the new manager's name (H. E. W. Wilson) stamped below. A Hotel del Portal sticker is pasted to the inside rear cover. According to the PACIFIC COAST GAZETTE, February 1915 (volume 10, number 2), the official organ of Pacific Coast Master Baker's Association and the Amalgamated Restaurant and Keepers, edited and published by its secretary A. W. J. Gibbs, "One of the easiest and best trips in the state of California, and one that most visitors take is the ascent of Mount Tamalpais, over the 'Crookedest Railway in the World' ... which lands you at the Tavern of Tamalpais. Space forbids a description of the view from the Tavern, called by some 'The Grandest panorama on earth.' It must be seen to be appreciated. Aside from the view, there are other desirable features connected with the Tavern, such as good things to eat and drink, good rooms for those desiring to stay over night, an open fireplace with burning logs when the weather is a bit chilly. The host who looks out for the comfort of both the inner and outer man is Mr. H. E. W. Wison, who has served a long apprenticeship to catering to the wants of the traveling public: having been connected with some of the best hotels in California, during the past sixteen years. Mr. Wilson was for two years manager of the Hotel del Portal at the entrance to Yosemite Valley, and while there gained a good reputation for setting first-class meals and running a well-kept hotel. The Tavern is now making enlargements, and expects to entertain many thousands of visitors during 1915." According to SANTA FE MAGAZINE volume 9, H. E. W. Wilson took over management of the Tavern in 1914. The Tavern operated from 1896 until it was destroyed by fire in 1923. Front and rear wrapper water stained, pink ink stain to rear wrapper, interior clean, overall a good copy. (#173402).

Price: $250.00

See more items by , ,
Printing identification statement for this book:
No statement of printing.